Friday, June 22, 2012

I'm Still Standing...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah (Part Five)

 Just a quick update for my concerned/curious friends!

Status Update:

PAIN: Nada! Slight itching here and there (more so at night when anti-inflammatory pills wear off), but more like a sunburn itch, rather than a rash itch.

DISCOMFORT/SLEEP: Got up a couple of times for restroom/Vaseline application, but slept pretty freaking well throughout the night.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY/ANTI-BACTERIAL PRECAUTIONS: No more anti-inflammatory cream for now, because it was drying my face out and causing more redness/itchiness.  Will be done with anti-inflammatory oral pills come Monday...woot woot!  Anti-bacterial pills will continue for a while longer, while skin is new and exposed. This shouldn't be a problem though, because they are low dose and the same pills that derm prescribes to me if/when I ever have a breakout. Valium dosage is very low, and I'm pretty sure it does not do much for me, so tonight is probably the last night I will be taking them.

SPIRIT: Relieved to be burning/itching free...feeling very pleased with results...and feeling even more blessed than usual for friends, family, and health.

RANDOM: In order to decrease the swelling that is expected post-chem peel (even when an allergy does not occur), I was instructed to drink A LOT of water throughout this whole thing. I take my doctor's instructions very seriously, so I have been drinking water non-stop. The results have been amazing!  I have always heard about the benefits of water consumption to your skin/health/energy, but I honestly never really bothered to drink it so religiously...until this past two weeks. Not only has my skin all over my body become much softer, I feel energized, don't have stomach acid problems (I would expect all the meds to have caused a major acid stir-up, but nothing), and I have trimmed down a few pounds. While not sleeping well has probably also contributed to the weight-loss, I really think the water consumption has played a big role. Especially, given the fact that I was warned that the anti-inflammatory meds could lead to weight gain, especially if taken for longer periods of time (and for obvious reasons, I have been taking them for longer, and at higher doses, then initially planned).  Just the opposite has happened.

The most profound, unexpected consequence of this chem peel is something deeper though...and here's where I'm going to get a bit cornier than usual. I really feel like the two weeks at home, one week in agony, and lots of time by myself has made me happier overall. I feel like I finally did something that I've wanted to do for a long time (take care of my acne scars in the only way that the derm believes it can be done for me), and while it was the most uncomfortable/agonizing thing I have been through, it was worth it!  My satisfaction with my decision/chem peel may be more based on the psychological consequences of this journey then the objective results of the peel (after all, the projected/expected reduction in scarring is only 25%), but, regardless, I'm happy I did it, and happy I made it out alive and can slowly venture back out into the big, beautiful, sunny world....with a hat and sunscreen on, of course :).

Thanks for your interest/patience/concern, friends!  Below are some pics for your entertainment.

 Day 13
 Day 14: Morning
 Day 14: Night
 Day 15: Two weeks out! Prometheus with Dr. Love tonight...woot woot!!!

Next week: Tub caulking update, garden news, and other updates. In the meantime, here are two articles I just read and really enjoyed...thought you may enjoy them too:  Why Women Still Can't Have It All by Anne-Marie Slaughter AND 23 Things I Think New Parents Should Know by Melissa Sher. 


1 comment:

  1. I really love how you have a thumbs up in every picture hahah

    ReplyDelete